LyGenesis, Inc. is an organ regeneration company enabling a patient's own lymph nodes to be used as bioreactors to regrow functioning ectopic organs. Our initial target organ for clinical development is liver regeneration, with a focus on helping patients with end stage liver disease (ESLD).
disrupting organ transplantation
Instead of one donor organ treating one patient, LyGenesis enables one donor organ to treat dozens of patients.
Instead of major surgery, LyGenesis uses outpatient endoscopy for transplantation of donor cells, which grow and become a functioning ectopic organ.
A decade age, Dr. Eric Lagasse, a world leader in ectopic transplantation research, began a series of experiments that would form the foundation for LyGenesis. He discovered that hepatocytes (liver cells) transplanted into lymph nodes would not just survive, but thrive, organize and begin to function as miniature ectopic livers. His research, published in Nature BioTechnology, Current Opinions in Organ Transplantation, and elsewhere confirms that it is possible to harness the body's lymph nodes as bioreactors for organ regeneration.
Working from his research laboratory at the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh, Dr. Lagasse's technology expands on decades of pioneering research and clinical medicine caring for patients with advanced liver disease at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
who we are
DR. ERIC LAGASSE
CHIEF SCIENTIFIC OFFICER
- World leader in ectopic transplantation research
- Director of the Liver Stem Cell Program at StemCells Inc for 7 years (1996-2003)
- Associate Professor of Pathology & Director of the Cancer Stem Cell Center at the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
- Editorial Board member for BioMolecular Concepts and Journal of Organogenesis, Associate Editor for Stem Cell Research and Therapy
DR. PAULO FONTES
CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER
- Post-doc training in cell transplantation, transplant immunology & multi-organ transplantation – Assisted & performed 26 pancreatic islets transplants and 350 bone marrow transplants in humans through a NIH-sponsored clinical trial
- Directed the Liver Transplant Program, Starzl Transplant Institute for almost a decade, where 1,500 liver transplants were performed
- Director, Machine Perfusion Program, Starzl Transplantation Institute, UPMC
- Professor of Surgery & Deputy Director, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
DR. MICHAEL HUFFORD
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
- Extensive drug development experience designing and executing Phase 1 through Phase 3 clinical trials
- FDA meeting lead for pIND, IND, EOP2, and approved NDA (milnacipran)
- Co-Founder and C-level executive of multiple startups: NQ Oncology (COO), MindApps (CEO/CSO), e-Nicotine Technology (CMO)
- Public company experience: VP, Corporate & Clinical Development at Cypress Bioscience, Clinical Team Leader at Amylin Pharmaceuticals
- Private company experience: VP, Scientific Affairs (invivodata), COO at NeuroCog Trials
Privately held, LyGenesis is headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.